‘Pollution is pretty insane’: Anders Antonsen calls for India Open to move out of Delhi winter | Badminton News

bwf world championships 2026


‘Pollution is pretty insane’: Anders Antonsen calls for India Open to move out of Delhi winter
Denmark’s Anders Antonsen (PTI Photo)

NEW DELHI: World No. 4 Anders Antonsen has urged the BWF to reconsider the timing of the India Open, arguing that the tournament should be held in Delhi during a season when the capital’s air quality is more conducive to high-intensity sport.The Danish shuttler, who defeated Azerbaijan’s Dicky Dwi Pangestu 21-19, 21-17 in his opening-round match at the BWF World Championships in New Delhi on Monday, believes the January-February window currently used for the India Open exposes players to Delhi’s worst pollution.Antonsen skipped this year’s India Open and has questioned the decision to stage the Super 750 event in the capital during the winter months. The tournament is again scheduled for February next year, although the 29-year-old is yet to decide whether he will participate.“As I said in interviews, there is a huge difference in the seasons here, right? I’ve come to understand that in January and February the pollution here is quite insane,” Antonsen said.

‘Imagine having your pulse high and trying to fight for air’

Antonsen said the contrast between Delhi’s conditions during the World Championships and those during winter was significant, describing the current environment as far more comfortable for players.“It’s not pleasant to play in. You kind of get this burning feeling in your throat and you can see it under the lights and everything. It’s not super nice. I don’t think it’s the right decision to host the India Open at that time of the year, but now it’s way, way better,” he said.“When I open the windows in the morning, I can see stuff. But if I do that in January, I can’t see the building next to me. So imagine having your pulse high and trying to fight for air. It’s not a pleasant feeling.”The Dane, a three-time World Championships bronze medallist and one-time silver medallist, said the timing should be reconsidered if the BWF wants to provide players with better playing conditions.“So if I was the BWF, I would host the India Open at another time of the year,” he said.Antonsen has also highlighted the financial dilemma players face when skipping elite tournaments. He did not play in the India Open earlier this year and was fined $5,000 for missing the Super 750 event.“I wasn’t happy to see it because, as we just talked about, the pollution during that season is pretty insane. I don’t think it is the right move for the BWF to host the tournament in January or February in Delhi,” he said.

Antonsen impressed with World Championships venue

While critical of the timing of the India Open, Antonsen has been pleased with the facilities for the World Championships.“I’m happy with it so far. The match official was saying, carry on, carry on. Just before I served, there were some flashes, people taking photos on the stands. So that was just all I said,” he said.“I feel the arena is beautiful. Huge arena. It’s my first time here. Everything out here is good. No complaints.”On court, Antonsen remains among the leading contenders in an increasingly unpredictable men’s singles field. Having already collected three World Championships bronze medals and one silver, he is chasing the only medal missing from his collection — gold.“I need to play my absolute best and maybe even better than I’ve ever done before, and then I need a bunch of luck. So yeah, the men’s singles category right now is insane,” he said.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *